About Me

My photo
I am a PGA Member Professional and I have been in this area for over seventeen years, the last twelve as a Bonita Springs resident. I pride myself on being a leader rather than a follower. I am passionate about the golf industry and always want others to enjoy the game that I love so much. It's time we introduce this game to more and maintain it for those who have played it for a lifetime.

Friday, June 10, 2011

What's on your mind? What's your gripe about golf?

Everyone has an opinion on any issue.  This is a golf blog and I KNOW you all have an opinion about the game.  What's your biggest gripe?

Here's some things to consider:  pace of play, difficulty of the golf course, price of instruction, price of playing the game, cost of equipment, stuffiness of the golf environment.  That ought to provide you something to write about.  Send me a comment, tell me and others what's on your mind.

You've seen other posts below about my take on a number of issues.  I'll start a discussion (I hope) with one more.  I find it sometimes tough to accept that equipment companies are cranking out new product it seems every 12-18 months and telling you it's the latest and greatest.  Is it?  Or is it just a new round of marketing leading you to believe that you will be that much better if you buy this product?

The average handicap hasn't changed in years, maybe ever.  Courses have changed as equipment has changed I'm sure so that might have something to do with the lack of change in the handicaps.

If I bought into the idea that with every club I can improve my distance by a couple/few yards I'd be hitting my five iron 220 these days and drives well over 300 yards.  It's not true at all.  Tees with less drag can add  a couple of yards to  your drives - as tested by robots!  Better shafts, balls, gloves, shoes all add yards!  And we keep drinking the proverbial Kool Aid.

For sure there is a need for many to upgrade equipment.  Maybe a different shaft will provide for more length.  Or a combination of ball and club might better suit a player than their current equipment.  But how many players are lured into buying something they don't need or want and their frustration with the game remains the same?

Have players' frustrations been improved?  I'm wondering considering the number of players is netting lower each year and rounds played is decreasing each year.

How do we deal with your frustration, whatever it may be?  Comments coming back get enlisted in some swag give-aways later this summer!

1 comment:

wayne said...

You're right Dan, a couple of years ago I bought a full set of Ping G5's after being tols they were the latest and greatest. The next week Ping introduced the G 10 line. Ticked me off.